As many as 24 million Americans struggle with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, and EDNOS – eating disorder not other specified). In spite of the unprecedented growth in the past two decades, eating disorders research continues to be under-funded, insurance coverage for treatment is inadequate, and societal pressures to be thin remain rampant.
-National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)
This October, I’m participating in my local NEDA Walk with a group of strong, brave women. We met in treatment and are now walking together in recovery, united by our struggles and our drive towards life without ED. Our team – StrongHer – is walking not only for ourselves but for those suffering in silence with their eating disorders, and to raise awareness of this destructive disease.
Although the walk is a couple months away, we’ve already begun raising money. I’d be eternally grateful if you would consider donating to the cause!! NEDA provides invaluable services to individuals and families affected by eating disorders, and every contribution helps.
Here’s where your money goes:
- $30 pays for 30 minutes on the NEDA Helpline.
- $50 provides NEDA Toolkits on CD-ROM to 33 parents, teachers , coaches, and volunteers.
- $100 assists 23 people who call the NEDA Helpline to seek recovery for themselves or a loved one.
- $250 pays for one day of our Proud2Bme.org teen website, including hosting the site, graphic and
- content updates and managing volunteer moderators of the forums. (They need 365 contributors at
- this level to host the website for an entire year.)
- $500 provides resources to students and community volunteers during National Eating Disorders
- Awareness Week.
- $1,000 allows them to add a new computer and phone line for a Helpline Volunteer.
Please visit my page (or StrongHer’s team page) to make a tax-deductible donation! Any little bit helps. If you donate and would like to receive a hand-written thank-you card from me, send me your address by using the 42nd Chance contact form.
Thank you for your time and support!